Which Motorcycle License

Finding The Right Test For You
There are five different licence categories, your age and the size of motorcycle you want to ride will determine which test you will be required to complete.

What You Can Ride License Information

Compulsory Basic Training (AM LICENCE) AGE 16
You will need to complete a CBT training course if you wish to ride a motorcycle or scooter up to 125cc. The only exception is if you obtained a car licence before the 1st February 2001 and only wish to ride a moped (a moped has an engine not over 50cc with a maximum designed speed not exceeding 31 miles per hour.)

On completion of your CBT you will be allowed to ride a 50cc moped if you are 16 years of age or a 125cc bike if you are 17 years of age or older.  You must display L plates and you cannot carry a pillion or travel on motorways.
A CBT licence is valid for two years. You can retake your CBT at the end of the two years, or go on to the next step to further move up.

Category A1 – Full Light Motorcycle Licence AGE 17
If you are happy to stick with riding a 125cc motorcycle then you can do your test on a motorcycle with an engine capacity up to125cc and 11KW (15BHP). The minimum age is 17 years, with L PLates lasts for 2 years. If you complete your A1 licence without L Plates then the licence does not expire after 2 years. For this a theory and practical test will be required.

Category A2 – Restricted Standard Motorcycle Licence AGE 19
If you are of a minimum age of 19 years and you have passed your A1 Licence. You can ride motorcycles up to 35KW (47BHP). On passing your test you will receive a restricted licence. You will not need L plates and can carry a pillion and travel on motorways.

Category A Licence Age 21 or Age 24
You can ride a motorcycle of any size or CC. The mimumum age is 21 years, providing you have passed you A2 Licence and held it for more than a two year period. The direct access scheme is available to you providing you are of a minimum age of 24 years. On completion of the test you will be able to carry a pillion and will have no restrictions.

Automatic Licence
It is possible for you to take your test on a DCT (Dual-Clutch Transmission) or twist and go motorcycle. You will be restricted to an automatic licence which will only entitle you to ride automatic motorcycles (motorcycles without a clutch lever).

What You Can Ride